For The Candidates: A Proposal For A NEW AGENDA For The City of Coral Gables
March 17, 2011 Leave a comment
This is the list of issues, problems and ideas for the future of the city Coral Gables Watch for inclusion in a needed New Agenda for the City of Coral Gables. Following is a list of examples of possible NEW AGENDA items.
- Prepare and discuss with the public a NEW AGENDA for the City to face the major pending problems, such as unfunded benefits, taxation, staffing and organization;
- The City Manager should routinely report to taxpayers the progress on the budget and organizational changes;
- The city commission should agree on a new Code of Ethics;
- Change the election dates for the city of Coral Gables to coincide with national and state elections.
- Prepare and publicly discussion a long-range financial plan for the City of Coral Gables
- Target a freeze and/or reduce actual amounts of taxes paid by citizens (not just millage rates) during the next three years;
- Accelerate a plan of reducing pensions and health benefits, especially for firefighters and police;
- Prepare a plan and publicly discuss how to reduce unfunded pension liabilities during the next five years;
- Have a community town hall meeting at least twice a year to discuss the budget and other current issues;
- Develop a realistic and flexible agreement with the Biltmore that protects the taxpayers not just now, but in the coming years from subsidizing the operators;
- Undertake a review of financial mechanisms and the defective EDEN system to establish a modern, functional accounting of spending and revenues.