A “New Agenda” for the City of Coral Gables
October 12, 2010 Leave a comment
Consider a list of issues and proposals for a New Agenda for a newly elected mayor, commissioners (old and new) and the city manager that could be discussed in the coming election campaign.
Help by sending your suggestions and I will include them all in a running list on a separate page on this blog.
Here are some example of what I imagine might be relevant or, at least, good ideas to challenge to candidates.
- Prepare and discussion a long-range financial plan for the City of Coral Gables;
- Freeze and/or reduce actual amount of taxes paid by citizens during the next three years;
- Accelerate a plan of reducing pensions and health benefits, especially for firefighters and police;
- Prepare a plan on how to reduce unfunded pension liabilities during the next five years;
- Have a community town hall meeting at least twice a year to discuss the budget and other issues;
- Develop a realistic and flexible agreement with the Biltmore that protects the taxpayers not just now, but in the coming years;