(Repeated) A City Agenda For Coral Gables
April 15, 2011 Leave a comment
This is the list of issues, problems and ideas that might form part of an Agenda for the City of Coral Gables.
- Prepare and discuss an overall NEW AGENDA for the City of Coral Gables to face the major pending problems, such as unfunded benefits, taxation, staffing and organization;
- City Manager should routinely report to taxpayers progress on the budget and organizational changes;
- The city needs a new Code of Ethics;
- Change the election dates for Coral Gables to coincide with national and state elections.
- Prepare and publicly discussion a long-range financial plan for the City of Coral Gables
- Target a freeze and/or reduce actual amount of taxes paid by citizens (not millage rates) during the next three years;
- Accelerate a plan of reducing pensions and health benefits, especially for firefighters and police;
- Prepare a plan and publicly discuss how to reduce unfunded pension liabilities during the next five years;
- Have a community town hall meeting at least twice a year to discuss the budget and other current issues;
- Develop a realistic and flexible agreement with the Biltmore that protects the taxpayers not just now, but in the coming years;
- Undertake a review of financial mechanisms and the defective EDEN system to establish a modern, functional accounting of spending and revenues.