What’s Next After the 2010-2011 Budget Approval
September 29, 2010 Leave a comment
After the approval of the 2010-2011 City of Coral Gables Budget, we might ask what are major tasks the city manager and the city commissioners should undertake to avoid continuing property tax increases.
I would think the city needs the following:
- Make further cuts in pensions, health benefits and salaries of all employees during the next year, especially for firefighters and police;
- Reduce the number of firefighters and police, if they do not accept substantial salary and benefit reductions;
- In light of the city manager’s recent comments about working for the future, the city should develop, discuss and publish a long-term financial plan, approved by the Commission and discussed by taxpayers in an open forum;
- Continue evaluating senior and middle management and a process of “rightsizing” city government; and
- Delay major capital projects for three to five years, depending on the recuperation of the local economy.
What else do you suggest.